Today, Ben and I are celebrating our 10-year wedding anniversary. 10!
It’s been one heck of a 10th year:
- We welcomed our second baby into our family.
- Our first baby turned 2!
- We sold our house, which wasn’t officially on the market.
- We moved into Ben’s parents’ place while we looked for a new one.
- We found a new place! (We’re in the process; I’ll have more details in later
I guess we like to lump all of life’s major events into a single year. You know, to get all of the really stressful life events out of the way all at once.
Ten years ago, back in 2003, it was a similar scene. Here’s what was happening:
- My parents split up.
- Ben and I bought our first house! (We were young and dumb. It was a great learning experience.)
- I graduated from college.
- I started a brand new full-time job.
- Ben and I got married!
- We both moved for the first time out of our parents’ houses.
It’s hard to believe 10 years has already flown by. When people tell you time flies, believe them. It does.
After one decade of marriage, we’ve certainly learned a lot about each other, ourselves and life in general. I won’t bore you with a long list of Lessons Learned. There’s really only one that’s important:
Put God first.
When you follow this rule, everything else falls naturally into place. Ben and I didn’t start out that way, and sometimes, we still need reminded. But when God opened our eyes and hearts to this simple Rule for a Successful Marriage, things changed, for the better. Way better.